28 Refreshing Summer Cocktails!
Listen up ladies; with the summer season truly upon us it’s time for some tasty treats to get your summer in full swing. We’ve put together some of the tastiest summer cocktails to help inspire you to try some new, refreshing beverages and truly relax this summer season. After all what is warm weather without a cool drink in your hand?
1) Summer Sangria with Watermelon and Pineapple
Use fresh fruit to make this delicious twist on sangria. An easy, refreshing summer recipe with watermelon and pineapple to create a fun twist on sangria that utilizes fresh summer produce. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1 bottle Moscato wine (750 ml)
- 1/2 brandy
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- 2 watermelon, cubed and cold
- 2 sweet pineapples, cubed and cold
- Lemon lime soda, for serving
- Ice cubes
- Pour the wine and brandy into a pitcher and stir to combine. Add the sliced lime, watermelon, and pineapple.
- To serve, place some of the fruit in a glass with ice. Pour the sangria over the ice and top with lemon lime soda.
The sangria can be made up to 2 hours before serving but can be served immediately.
2) Pineapple Ginger Prosecco Punch
This pitcher style pineapple ginger prosecco punch is perfect for an intimate gathering or a full-blown party! You can make it ahead and add the prosecco at the last minute for a bubbly, refreshing cocktail! A mocktail version is also available too! Mix everything ahead of time, waiting until serving time to add the chilled Prosecco. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 2 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 4 chopped ginger cubes
- 4 cups pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 750 ml bottle Prosecco (substitute lemon-lime soda for mocktail version)
- 1/2 cup tequila, optional
- Add frozen (or fresh) pineapple to the blender.
- Add pineapple juice.
- Add ginger and cilantro.
- Blend until all the pineapple is chopped up.
- Remove from the blender and add to the pitcher.
- When ready to serve, pour in Prosecco and tequila.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
3) Vanilla and Fresh Cherry Bourbon Cocktail
If you love fresh cherries, vanilla extract, and bourbon this one is for you! A fresh and delicious cherry bourbon cocktail that mixes fresh cherries with vanilla extract and bourbon, topped with bubbly soda water. Perfect for those lazy summer afternoons! Follow these simple instructions below:
- ½ cup fresh cherries, pitted
- ¼ teaspoon Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 5 oz (one shot) bourbon
- 3 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Club soda (1/4 cup or so)
- In the bottom of a glass, combine the cherries, vanilla extract, bourbon, sugar and lemon juice.
- Muddle together until cherries are broken and juices are released (you can use the back of a wooden spoon if you don't have a muddler).
- Top with ice cubes and a small splash of club soda.
4) Peach Basil Moscow Mule
Spruce up a basic Moscow Mule recipe with peach-flavoured vodka—and don't forget the fresh basil garnish! This traditional cocktail is made up of vodka, ginger beer and lime juice, giving it a refreshing summer twist with peach vodka, fresh basil and lemon juice! Follow these simple instructions below:
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 large lemon (quartered)
- 8 oz peach vodka
- 24 oz ginger beer
- Fill four glasses with ice. Preferably Copper Mugs, but any cocktail glass will work!
- Add 2 oz vodka and 6 oz ginger beer to each glass. Squeeze one quarter of a lemon into each glass, then add a couple pieces of fresh basil.
- Stir all of the ingredients together
- Voila, summer deliciousness in a glass!
5) Refreshing Kentucky Lemonade Cocktail
This cocktail is as refreshing as it is pretty. Sweet, tart, and refreshing with a bourbon kick, this Kentucky lemonade cocktail is everything you could want in a drink. It’s fun, has easy to find ingredients, and is easy to customize by making non-alcoholic if you’d prefer it that way! Follow these simple instructions below:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (from approximately 6 lemons)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2-2/3 cup Bourbon (depending on your tastes)
- 6 cups ginger ale
- Additional lemon slices (for garnish)
- In a small saucepan, combine granulated sugar and water and heat over MED heat. Heat until sugar dissolves into water and mixture is clear. Simmer 1-2 minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice, mint leaves, and Bourbon, then let mixture cool.
- Pour mixture through a fine strainer into a large pitcher to remove solid particles and mint leaves. Add ginger ale and stir to combine. Add ice and lemon slices and serve cold.
- Add a bit of water, lemon juice or light corn syrup to a shallow plate. To another shallow plate, add coarse white sugar. Dip the open end of glasses onto the liquid plate, then onto the sugar plate to create the sugar rim. Serve drink over ice cubes, garnish with a lemon slice and sprig of mint.
6) Honeyed Cherry Daiquiri
This tart and sweet cocktail goes down easy. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 8 sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 oz. light rum
- 3/4 oz. fresh lime juice, plus slice for garnish
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- Dash of bitters
- 1/4 oz. maraschino liqueur (optional)
- Muddle cherries in the bottom of cocktail shaker until fruit is broken down and juices are released.
- Add rum, lime juice, honey, bitters, and maraschino liqueur, if desired.
- Fill with ice and shake until chilled, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled stemmed glass. Garnish with lime slice.
7) Ginger-Peach Soda
Add a splash of rum to reveal this sunny refresher's after-dark potential. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 2 very ripe peaches
- 2 L Seltzer
- 16 fresh mint leaves
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring 1 cup water, sugar, and ginger to a gentle simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove simple syrup from heat, cover, and steep for about 30 minutes.
- Over a medium bowl, pour syrup through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing minced ginger against sieve with the back of a spoon to extract flavor. Discard ginger. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Evenly distribute peach slices among 8 tall glasses. For each glass, lightly press peaches with the back of a wooden spoon to release their juice. Pour about 2 tablespoons chilled syrup over peaches. (Store remaining syrup in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.)
- Add ice cubes; then top with seltzer. Stir to distribute syrup, peach juice, and seltzer evenly.
- Garnish with 2 mint leaves.
8) Frozen-Grape Sangria
Some of your favourite fall flavours make a comeback in this refreshing sangria. Throwing a festive autumn bash? Whip up a pitcher of this easy fall-flavoured sangria. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1¾ lb. seedless green grapes
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 1 lemon
- ¼ c. superfine sugar
- 2 bottle medium-bodied red wine (such as Merlot)
- 1 c. Concord grape juice
- ½ c. vodka
- 4 c. Ice
- Spread three-quarters of grapes on a metal baking pan and freeze for 25 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large pitcher, add remaining grapes, apple, lemon, sugar, wine, grape juice, and vodka.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Divide frozen grapes and ice among 8 glasses. Pour in sangria.
9) Raspberry Gin Rickey
Try this spruced up classic Gin Rickey by adding some fresh, delicious summer raspberries. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1 c. sugar
- 1½ c. raspberries
- 1 c. fresh lime juice
- 12 oz. gin
- 1 qt. Seltzer
- 2 limes
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, muddle 2 raspberries in the bottom of each glass. Add 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons reserved simple syrup, and 3 tablespoons gin to each glass.
- Fill each with 1-cup ice and top with 1/2-cup seltzer. Garnish with lime slices and more raspberries.
10) Jalapeño-Spiked Bourbon Julep
This classic cocktail has been given a refresh with a homemade jalapeño simple syrup. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 1 oz. Jalapeño Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
- Crushed Ice
- 2½ oz. bourbon
- Club Soda
- 1 very thinly sliced jalapeño round
Jalapeño Simple Syrup:
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- In a julep cup, pour Jalapeño Simple Syrup and add mint; gently bruise leaves with a muddler or wooden spoon.
- Add enough crushed ice to fill two-thirds of the cup. Add bourbon and stir gently; then add a bit more crushed ice. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with mint sprig and jalapeño.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine 1-cup water, sugar, and jalapeños. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and let steep 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup, discard jalapeños, and cool syrup. (Simple syrup can be refrigerated, in an airtight container, for up to 6 months.)
11) Rosemary-Infused Honey Sidecars
A lush herb sprig, sugared rim, and dash of honey—swapped in for orange liqueur—this updated classic Cognac cocktail is a real summer treat. The rosemary helps balance out the sweetness in this twist on a traditional sidecar. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 3 sprig fresh rosemary
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 c. Honey
- 2 c. Cognac
- 1 c. lemon juice
- In a medium pot, bring 2 2/3 cups water and 3 rosemary sprigs to a boil.
- Boil 1 minute and set aside to steep until water cools to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Discard rosemary sprigs and pour infused water into 2 ice-cube trays and freeze.
- Place sugar in a small, shallow dish. Using your finger, coat rims of eight 8-ounce tumblers with honey and immediately press the rims into sugar to coat. Set aside.
- In a pitcher, combine Cognac, lemon juice, and remaining honey.
- Add rosemary-infused ice cubes and stir vigorously until honey dissolves and liquid is well chilled.
- Pour through a strainer into prepared glasses; discard ice.
- Garnish each glass with a rosemary sprig and serve immediately.
12) Peach Melba Mimosas
This light, fresh cocktail is filled with sweet berries, peaches, and enough bubbly to get your party in full swing this summer. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1½ c. thawed frozen raspberries
- ¼ c. sugar
- 1 c. thawed frozen peaches
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 bottle chilled champagne, cava, or other sparkling white wine
- ½ pt. fresh raspberries
- In a blender, puree frozen raspberries and 2 tablespoons sugar. Set a fine sieve over a small pitcher and strain puree; set aside.
- Rinse blender, then puree peaches with remaining sugar, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons cold water.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons raspberry puree and 2 teaspoons peach puree into each glass.
- Top off each cocktail with champagne and garnish with fresh raspberries.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
13) Guilt-Free Margaritas
This drink leaves out all the sugary guilt of a cocktail, instead gaining its flavour from fresh limejuice, agave syrup, orange zest, and mint! Clocking to only 80 calories per cocktail! Follow these simple instructions below:
- Juice of 15 limes (about 2 cups)
- 1 c. añejo tequila
- ⅓ dark agave syrup
- ¼ tsp. dark agave syrup
- 6 strip orange zest
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- 34 ice cubes
- In a large pitcher, combine limejuice, tequila, and agave syrup.
- Rub each old-fashioned glass rim with 1 orange zest strip, then place zest in glass.
- Put 1/4-teaspoon agave in a small bowl, and combine mint and salt on a small plate.
- Dip your finger in syrup and rub along glass rims. Dip glasses in mint-salt mixture to coat rims. Put 4 ice cubes in each glass.
- Place 5 ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Pour half the lime-tequila mixture into shaker and shake vigorously.
- Pour into 3 glasses. Repeat with remaining ice cubes and lime-tequila mixture.
14) Pineapple-Tequila Cooler
Summer is finally here. We’re all in need of a festive summer cooler to sip as we soak up the sunny rays. A refreshing, colourful, sweet beverage brimming with tequila to give you a sweet treat for the summer. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 4 cups fresh pineapple juice
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons agave, sugar or simple syrup
- 1-2 cups tequila
- Lime slices to garnish
- In a large pitcher combine pineapple juice, lime juice and a choice of sweetener, stir and adjust for desired sweetness.
- Stir in tequila and serve over ice.
- Garnish with lime slices.
15) Cranberry-Basil Spritzer
This spritzer incorporates the tastes of the cooler season with a refreshing fizz perfect for those warmer, summer days. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1 c. water
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. basil leaves
- 2 c. unsweetened cranberry juice
- ¼ c. fresh lime juice
- 1 L chilled club soda
- 4 slice lime
- 1 c. fresh cranberries
- ½ c. basil leaves
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water and sugar to a boil. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add 1/2-cup basil leaves, remove pan from heat, and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup and let cool for at least 1 hour. In a large pitcher, combine syrup, unsweetened cranberry juice, and fresh limejuice.
- Fill pitcher with chilled club soda, then add lime slices, fresh cranberries, and 1/2-cup basil leaves.
- To serve, pour spritzers over ice, top each with a splash more club soda, and garnish with basil.
16) Strawberry-Basil Bourbon Lemonade
It’s time to give classic fruit cocktails a modern twist. Try mixing up fresh, sweet strawberries and fragrant basil to make this simple cocktail taste. Giving you summertime in a glass. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1 lb. strawberries
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 c. bourbon
- 1 c. ice-cold water
- ½ c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz. bitters
- 12 basil leaves
- 8 Basil sprigs
- Place strawberries and a 1/4-cup water in a blender or food processor, and pulse until puréed.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add strawberry purée and 1 3/4 cups water, and heat until mixture just begins to boil, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely, about 30 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and discard solids. Chill syrup at least 1 hour.
- In a large pitcher, combine syrup, bourbon, water, lemon juice, and bitters; stir for 1 minute. Add basil, and stir to combine.
- Strain into 8 tall glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish each glass with a basil sprig.
17) Bellini Moonshiners
These moonshiners are the perfect summer beverage. A high-low mix of fancy champagne and whiskey, with fresh peaches and basil to add a taste of summer. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 2 ripe peaches
- 32 basil leaves
- ½ c. confectioners' sugar
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 1½ c. moonshine
- 1 L sparkling water
- 1 bottle Champagne
- In a large jug, muddle peaches, basil, and sugar using a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon. Add 4 cups ice.
- Add limejuice and moonshine, and stir well.
- To serve, divide mixture evenly among 8 highball glasses and top off with sparkling water and champagne.
- Garnish each glass with a basil leaf, and serve immediately.
18) Elderflower-Wine Cocktail
This light, refreshing white wine-based cocktail gives you a subtle sweetness using elderflower liqueur. You can easily mix up the base ahead of time and quickly serve as guests arrive. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1 bottle Fumé Blanc
- 4 oz. elderflower liqueur
- 4 oz. vodka
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Club Soda
- In a large pitcher, combine first 3 ingredients and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- To serve, muddle a few mint leaves in each glass.
- Add ice; fill two-thirds with wine mixture, and top with club soda.
- Garnish with mint sprigs.
19) Orange-Ginger Margarita
This orange ginger margarita is a real summer treat, using orange juice concentrate; you can create a tasty margarita in no time at all! Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1 can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 10 oz. tequila
- 6 oz. ginger liqueur
- 1 tsp. Grated Ginger
- 4 c. Ice
- 2 tbsp. margarita salt
- Crystallized ginger, optional
- Place frozen orange juice concentrate (reserve 1 tablespoon), tequila, ginger liqueur, ginger, and ice in a blender and mix until ice is crushed.
- Place reserved tablespoon concentrate on a small plate and salt on another small plate.
- Dip rims of 4 glasses in concentrate and then in salt.
- Fill glasses, garnish with crystallized ginger if desired, and serve.
20) Sour-Cherry Gin Smash
Ready for some summer indulgence? This one is for you! Indulge in this simple, flavourful cocktail. The gin adds a subtle herbal flavour, complimenting the tartness of the sour cherries.
- 6 sour cherries
- 1 cube sugar
- ½ oz. fresh lime juice
- 2 oz. gin
- ginger ale
- 1 lime wedge
- In a cocktail shaker, combine sour cherries and sugar cube.
- Muddle with a pestle until cherries release their juice and sugar is broken down.
- Add ounce fresh lime juice and gin.
- Fill shaker with ice; shake vigorously and then strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Top cherry-gin mixture with ginger ale, and garnish with a lime wedge.
21) Spicy Beet Bloody Marys
Fan of the Bloody Mary? Why not try this modern twist with roasted beets to add an earthy quality to this classic recipe. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 3 medium red beets
- 3 c. tomato juice
- 2 tbsp. pepperoncini juice
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp. Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. prepared horseradish
- ½ tsp. Ground garlic
- 6 oz. chilled vodka
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wrap peeled and halved beets in foil and roast until tender, 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, open foil, and set aside to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, blend beets, tomato juice, pepperoncini juice, lemon juice, freshly ground pepper, Worcestershire sauce, prepared horseradish, and ground garlic until smooth.
- Fill each of 4 glasses with ice and 1 1/2 ounces chilled vodka.
- Top each with beet mixture, and garnish with a stick of celery and a cocktail spear threaded with a cocktail onion and a pepperoncini.
22) The Firecracker
Cucumber vodka, watermelon, and limes meet to create what will quickly become one of your favourite poolside drinks. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 4 oz Prairie Cucumber Vodka
- 4 (1-inch) cubes of seedless watermelon
- 2 limes, diced
- 2 oz simple syrup (Boil 1/4 cup water and sugar just until sugar dissolves. Add 1/4 cup ice to cool - refrigerate leftovers)
- Lime Rim (equal amounts salt and sugar combined with some fresh grated lime)
- 2 Watermelon Slices
- 2 cucumber slices
- 2 small mint sprigs
- Combine vodka, watermelon and lime in a cocktail shaker. Muddle all ingredients well. Add simple syrup, fill with ice, cover and shake until ice cold.
- Rim the glasses with a cut lime and dip in the lime rim mixture.
- Fill the glasses with ice and pour the ingredients from the shaker into the glasses.
- Garnish with a watermelon slice, a cucumber slice and a mint sprig.
23) Sweet Tea Sangria
This tasty treat is a mix of tea with white wine and fruit, creating a refreshing summer cocktail. A really easy recipe to follow, this is an easy cocktail to create again and again throughout the summer months! The ideal treat for summer barbecues, brunches or showers. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 6 cups sweet tea
- 1 bottle white wine
- 2 cups raspberries
- 2 cups sliced peaches
- Fresh mint, for garnishing (optional)
- Mix sweet tea and wine together in a large pitcher.
- Add fruit and chill for at least 2-3 hours, preferably 8 or more.
- Serve in pretty glasses and garnish with mint.
24) Island Breeze Cocktail
This drink will take your taste buds on a summery trip to the tropics. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1-2 ounces vodka
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- Splash of cranberry juice
- Pineapple and a maraschino cherry for garnish, optional
Pour all ingredients over ice, stir, and enjoy!
25) Raspberry Limoncello Prosecco
All you need is five minutes to create this refreshing citrus drink. An amazingly bubbly, sweet cocktail, great for relaxing during the summer months. Follow these simple instructions below:
- 3 cups prosecco, chilled
- 1 cup limoncello liqueur, chilled
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 6 sprigs fresh mint
- In a large pitcher, whisk together prosecco and limoncello.
- Serve over raspberries, garnished with mint, if desired.
26) Blueberry Mojito
Cool off this summer with sweet blueberries, tart limes, and a refreshing splash of rum. This cocktail will take you away on a cool island breeze, perfect for lazy summer afternoons! Follow these simple instructions below:
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries, (Set aside a few for garnish if desired)
- 4 Ounces Rum
- 10 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 2 Teaspoons White Sugar
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 6 Ounces Club Soda
- Ice Cubes
- Blend or muddle blueberries until smooth. Set aside.
- Use a muddler or wooden spoon to blend in mint leaves and sugar.
- Stir in rum, limejuice, and blueberry mixture.
- Pour over club soda & ice. Gently stir.
- Garnish with extra blueberries, lime, and mint if desired.
27) Strawberry and Blueberry Sangria
Looking to stay cool and refreshed this summer? Why not try this delicious strawberry, blueberry sangria. This is the perfect cocktail for sitting on the porch during your next summer BBQ. Click here to watch the following video to create this delicious cocktail!
28) Rainbow Sangria
This will definitely be the most colourful drink you'll have this summer! A fun, colourful sangria to add a little colour to your cocktail this season. Click here to watch the following video to create this delicious cocktail!
- 1 Bottle of White Wine
- 1 Cup of Triple Sec
- 1/2 cup of Lemon Juice
The GDO Feed
We always want something !!
? TEN PAIRS OF TICKETS TO THE GIRLS’ DAY OUT SHOW TO BE WON ? Ahead of our tickets going on sale next week (yay!!), we’re kicking things off by giving away TEN PAIRS…
Don’t at me. ?
!!! TICKETS GO ON SALE 12TH OF SEPTEMBER !!!